Friday, November 21, 2008

Sarah Palin's Constituency

There's a brief human interest story on the wires this morning about Sarah Palin at a turkey farm in Alaska, where she gave one lucky bird the traditional gubernatorial "pardon." As she prattled on about how much "fun" she was having, a general blood-letting was going on in the background, as the un-lucky, un-pardoned birds met violent ends.

If there is such a thing as avian loyalty, one might expect that next time she runs for office, Ms. Palin will have the vote of at least one turkey in Alaska. That's understandable.

What I fail to understand is the reasoning of all those other turkeys who voted for her last time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tut, tut, Citizen Jane. Where's the love. As one of those turkeys who voted for Sarah Palin, I'm not feeling that "unconditional positive regard" you said we all needed to practice so that we could solve our problems outside stereotypical labels like liberal and conservative. Help me out here. I'm not a "conservative" anymore -- I'm a turkey? Just for purposes of this civilized discussion we are going to have, what am I supposed to call you.

Citizen Jane said...

Your point is well taken, A. Sorry about that!

It's a good thing I stopped when I did. I was tempted to go on to say that her time might have been better spent reading. That way, if some ol' meany like Katie Couric asks her what she reads to keep herself informed, she'll have an answer.

Arrrgh! This Christian charity stuff isn't easy! I'll try to love Sarah Palin--honest I will.